Thursday, August 5, 2010

Dog Has Matted Fur? No Problem!

My grandmother knows I am an avid dog lover. One day I got a call from her requesting my help with her Cocker Spaniel, Cara. She said she needed my help with grooming her. She used to take Cara to get her groomed quite frequently, but had not had the money to do so. I agreed to help. I did not know what I was getting myself into until I saw Cara. It was something you only see in doggy nightmares. The dog was completely covered in matted hair and tangles. Not only was the dog covered in matted hair, but also had mud caked into the matted hair, which made it worse. My grandmother would have groomed Cara herself, but her hands make it unable to do so. I attempted to cut the matts out of Cara's fur at first, but quickly found this was going to be impossible. The matts were THICK, plus mix in the mud, the scissors didn't stand a chance. I knew this was going to be a tough job. So I went to the local Pet Depot store and picked up a Wahl KM 2 Professional 2 Speed Pet Clipper.

I was skeptical that this particular clipper would be able to do the job, however it worked perfectly. I was able to cut straight through the matted hair by clipping underneath the matts with no problem. I was thoroughly impressed. Clipping the dog's fur on its back was no problem, but it wasn't until I got to the legs that I ran into a problem. This is where most of the mud was caked on, but the clippers cut through it. It did take time because it was so thick. It ended up taking me a total of 16 hours(8 hours a day) to finish the job, but without that Wahl Clipper, would have taken me a lot longer. For her birthday, I bought her a Wahl Kennel Pro Pet Clipper because it is an extra heavy duty pet clipper, just in case we ever run into this problem again. :)

1 comment:

Betty said...

Dogs with very think fur often have this problem. I've learned to brush out the fur on a regular basis to help keep it from matting down.